February 28, 2009

Barton Carroll -- "Love & War"


I know that this is late and that Barton Carroll has a newer CD out. However, “Love & War” is so close to my heart that I feel most compelled to review.

Carroll is a veteran of the underground music scene via solo and playing with Crooked Fingers and many other bands. But Carroll’s solo works are not directed in the way he plays with the other bands.

Though I love this release, it is also a very sad and gloomy piece of work. That’s not “bad” per se. In fact, I LOVE it! It is magical and touches my heart. The music is a ‘lil alt-country with a ‘lil symphony on “cat on a beach.” But it is also a ‘lil rock-n-roll. Carroll is even beyond Bob Dylan. (yes, I said it!)

Barton Carroll digs deep inside. His lyrics are poetry sung in a beautiful and magnificent way. Carroll proclaims in “dark and of the street” that “time is going to take its toll.” Damn. It sure is.

I’m not sure why Carroll has not gotten more attention, as he is a fantastic singer. He is an incredible musician. And he is an incredible person. Listen to his words and you’ll know how special he is.

I just hope that more people listen, give him a chance. I think chances are part of his story. Chances lost and chances received.

He has a plan and “Love & War” will give you chill bumps. The song “small thing” makes me cry.
Go to Barton Carroll and/or Skybucket Records for more information. To hear an interview with Barton Carroll please go here.
-- Hunter Bell (02/28/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment