March 7, 2009

Duquette Johnston -- "It Sings Because It Has A Song"

I saw Daniel Johnston (AKA Daniel Duquette Johnston) today at his yard sale.
I purchased two books and a great coat. He and “they” were selling all they could and can to get to SXSW!

But I got more than that. He gave me his newest CD --- It Sings Because It Has A Song -- that has been submitted to the RPM Challenge. (Record an album Per Month)

I have to admit that I did not dig his last release. I’m not a huge fan of alt-country via back from rehab. (more on that later, another blog and day)

For whatever reason, this new release blows his last release away!

I’m sure he is still sober. He’s married. He’s focused. He seems to be doing what he always should have been doing.

For Johnston to do an album in one month is awesome. But for him to survive and overcome his past is MORE than mastery. From his background with Verbena, and his rock band Cutgrass, this CD takes away the past and looks towards the future. It is nothing like his other indulgent experiences. HE kills this one my friends!!!!

Again, this CD was written and recorded in one month. Give Mr. Johnston a few more months and he will be way, way OVER Verbena, Cutgrass, and all the other projects he tends to jingle with.

Duquette Johnston is a Birmingham hero. He is a legacy.

And here we go:
Rise Up Children
an alt-country psychedelic

Pay a Little, Love A Life
Beautiful, soft and true

I am Right I am Wrong
jeez, this song is like a gospel!


Go HERE to see his Myspace. Do it now!
(pic by Morgan Jones)

...................

--Hunter Bell (03/07/2009)

1 comment:

  1. there's something slightly bothersome about reading the words, "way, way OVER verbena." i suppose my feeling has to do with another member of said band, lester nuby, who was also involved with the verbena project...or saga...or whatever it was. reading these words causes some sort of protective sentiment within me, again due to lester's having been an integral part of verbena as well. i am certain that johnston's new release is good--there's no doubt in my mind regarding its value. but to say those words--"way, way OVER verbena"--i don't know--it seems to diminish the value that verbena also encompassed...it wasn't easy...

    ReplyDelete