January 18, 2009

Tour Bus in Pell City RE: Thrift Store


The thrift store in Pell City is incredible. I always get so excited when I go there as I usually find something very cool. Besides seeing my Grandma, going to the Thrift Store in Pell City is the best thing about my visits. I’m from Pell City, and my Dad and sister and many other relatives live there. But the Thrift Store always seems to be more interesting and productive. Oh, and getting my haircut there is very important too. (That’s another story). But since all my tree houses have either rotted or burned, I’m left with the Thrift Store to visit. And now Pell City seems to be a tourist stop for thrift stores as there are actual tour buses on the weekends unloading anxious shoppers, shoplifters, collectors, inspectors, wanderers, and lovers of (not so clean) clean fun.

It’s Awesome! In fact, when I was there last week there was a tour bus unloading people as I circled the parking lot like a vulture. The circle I continue. There are always tons of people there anyways. Not that I have ever been to a NASCAR event, but it seems this thrift store has the same type of “fans.” That makes it more fun for my visits. Just because it’s weird. I learn a lot. Every time I go, there are people I know but may not know me. I meet relatives there that are embarrassed because “Thrift Stores” to them are “welfare” and not savvy. They make some blush. Even my wife. Not me. I am proud. I hope they know I disagree with their red-faced stares and eventual “look aways.”

Sad

I have found so many “things” & “stuff” at this place. But I have had more great EXPERIENCES than anything. Go figure. Add it up. I try. It’s “cheap.” Worth every dime. Sometimes all I spend. And I wonder why this is so weird when my Dad lives less than a ¼ of a mile down the road. He’s as broke as I am but refuses to care about the best Thrift Store in Alabama. Just like my wife. And the thing is: It’s FUN! It’s fun to go.


I found a first edition, mint condition Miles Davis' "Miles of Jazz," LP as well as a cool Fat Albert LP.

Plus I get to think and chill on the fairly short road trip. . . . . .

-- Hunter Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment