January 31, 2009

Vulture Whale -- new CD Release


Vulture Whale

I love the name, first off. It’s different and yes I believe very unique. But what the hell does their name say about their music? And speaking of names, the brainchild of producing this music – the front man is Wes McDonald. He’s done so much solo work as well as work with other projects that his name within Vulture Whale holds its own. And then there is Lester Nuby from post Verbena as part of the band. At least two talented and well-known musicians. So there is already talent here we all should know about. Right?

Yep!

But does it shout out a new feeling? I mean, does this recording show a new beginning from them and the entire band?

Yes, I proclaim!

I’m not a huge Bruce Springsteen fan, I have to admit. But that’s OK. Yet this album has the Springsteen flavor with a different texture. A new vibe. I different experiment. A new groove. A different way of expressing. But somehow, I have to consider Mr. Springsteen.

McDonald’s lyric’s are over the top without being overbearing. They are fresh and make you(or at least me)feel great.

“What Do” is the one piece I encourage everyone to meditate upon. It will touch you, like the song even says. Poetry without normal consciences, annoyances, nor negative consequences. Though the song has so many references, the same conclusions come full circle. That’s the talent of a great lyricist / musician.

I’ve recently read that some reviewers consider McDonald’s words “kinda weird” and I agree. But they are perfect. Just tune in. You'll get it. Deep, yet sometimes silly and sometimes serious.

This band is rock alternatively with country twists every once in a while. Drugs are sung about and there is a good ending instead of bad in the song “Every Body.” Let’s all get over it. OK?

The band is tame yet insane at the same time. What a great combination! McDonald has an interesting perception of the world we live in. And it’s not a “Bruce Springsteen” album. It’s just has the flavor, with a lot Dale’s sauce/seasoning on top after marinating for years.

I love the way the booklet of lyrics, pictures and other information is presented. Beautiful and perfect for the band – the band named “Vulture Whale.”

This is music to drive to. Get into. Go get it. Go see them. Go for it! I wish I would have at least come up with the name – "Vulture Whale." (DAMN!)
see: Vulture Whale for more info or go to Skybucket Records

Vulture Whale plays BottleTree February 14th

-- Hunter Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment